Thursday, November 13, 2014

An interview with Bollywood actor Saurabh Shukla

Bollywood actor Saurabh Shukla, best known for his role as ‘Kallu Mama’ in film ‘Satya’ was in Bhubaneswar recently to attend the anniversary celebration of Oriya magazine ‘Kadambini’ when I got a chance to ask a few questions and his answers were touching. A report by Himanshu Guru.

Bollywood actor Saurabh Sukhla
Do you ever feel recognition came to you late despite being in the industry for long?

I shifted to Mumbai in 1993 and during that time there was a problem I faced that nobody believed my stories. I kept on telling producers that it is an original script but nobody accepted. Today, a number of producers come to me asking for original scripts.

Did you ever expect the National Award for your character in Jolly LLB?

While doing the work I did not expect but did wish if whatever I did is recognised and liked by people. Although the award came as a complete surprise, I don’t think that I have waited for it. My biggest award is the happiness that I received from my work. But, receiving the only award in the country which is not commercial award was a humble feeling.

Do you think ‘Kallu Mama’ has overcast your other roles?

I think if you ask the audience they will be the best judge. People know me by that because when I played that character I was new to the industry and the character connected to the audience so mush so that they still recognize me by that name.

What type of role you prefer to do?

Yes, I don’t have a personal choice; I like to play varying shades. Personal choice means playing on a known ground but I prefer unknown grounds.

Out of acting, direction and writing, what you prefer the most?


The way people want. Writing depends on the mood and it’s tiring sometimes. Acting is fun and it gives pleasure. For direction, you need multiple skills to coordinate a lot of things together. Each medium has it own way of representation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment